Chris Scaife has travelled extensively. His experience in the great outdoors includes jungle trekking in Papua New Guinea, mountaineering in the Alps and the Andes, reaching the summit of every English mountain over 2,000 feet, lengthy wild camping trips in Norway and the Scottish Highlands, multi-day cycling adventures in Britain and Europe, and cave exploration across the world.
He has descended many of the UK’s most difficult caves and has been involved in significant underground discoveries in the north of England and in Spain. In July 2019 he was part of a caving expedition to Armenia, which included the discovery and exploration of the third longest cave in the country.
Chris has been scuba diving on five continents in a number of exotic locations, including deep wreck dives in the USA, Colombia and Vanuatu, diving with sharks in Australia and Malaysia, and diving amongst volcanic vents in New Zealand.
Cycling is his main mode of transport and he spends much of his time on quiet and dusty roads in the north of England, often with a heavily laden pannier rack.
He is also experienced in mountain biking, rock and ice climbing, kayaking, skiing and snowboarding, and has a keen interest in wildlife, both locally and internationally.
Recent Publications (Books):
- The Caves of Northumberland (Sigma, 2019)
- Contributor to Matienzo Caves Project 2010-2019 (Matienzo Caves, 2020)
- Contributor to Ride: Cycle the World (DK Eyewitness, 2021)
Recent Publications (Periodicals):
- Descent Magazine - frequent contributions to the news section, plus features including:
- "Northumberland Revealed" - April 2019
- "Cave Ahoy ... it's Cutthroat Caverns" - June 2019
- “Petzl Boreo Caving helmet and Duo S headlight" [gear review] - February 2020
- “Armenia - Expedition explores third longest" - April 2020
- "Known Only to Dragons" - October 2020
- The Northumbrian Magazine:
- “Gateways Into the Underworld" - April 2019
- "By Bike and Bothy" - February 2020
- “Chamber of Secrets" - February 2021
- Cumbria Magazine:
- “A World of Opportunity" - November 2020
- Chris writes a monthly wildlife column for The Cumberland News, with articles including:
- “Sounds of Spring explained by Cumbria Wildlife Trust Expert" - April 2021
Recent Publications (Online):
- Cicerone Extra:
- Occasional contributions to the Cumbria Wildlife Trust website:
- UK Hillwalking:
- Shortlisted for the Tratman Award 2019
- Highly Commended for the OWPG Technical Feature Award 2020