In January 2021 we launched a series of remote Zoom meetings for Guild members and guests to make presentations on a range of subjects which we hope will be of interest to you all. These are usually only open to members, however occasionally for topics of wider interest (eg Peter and Leni’s talk on Everest) we may open up participation outside the Guild.
OWPG Member Zooms take place on the third Wednesday of the month, running from 7pm-8pm.
The presenter will speak for 30-40 minutes and there will be 20-30 minutes for discussion.
We will usually also keep the lines open after the presentation for informal chat among members.
Who is speaking – and about what?
Islandeering with Lisa Drewe – Wed 19 January 7pm
The link to access the recording is in the Members forum – under the Zoom/Blether board.
OWPG member Lisa Drewe is a walker, mountaineer, sea-kayaker and cyclist with a special interest in islands. She has completed human-powered circumnavigations and high-point climbs of over 170 islands of the British Isles. She has also walked and cycled many other archipelagos of the world.
She will be talking to us about her two books:
- Islandeering Wild Things Publishing Ltd (2019)
- England & Wales Island Bagging Vertebrate Graphics Ltd (2021)
We will hear about her journey to publication and how she markets herself and her books.
- Wed Nov 17 2021: Julia Goodfellow-Smith on “How to Create a Best-seller”
- Wed May 19 2021: Peter and Leni Gillman on Everest 1921-1953 – Tales from the Photo Archivies
- Wed April 21 2021: Chris Howes on Photographic Flash Underground (Caving Photography)
- Wed Mar 17 2021: Guest speakers Karen Lloyd & Tim Ecott on narrative non-fiction
- Wed Feb 17 2021: Sabi Phagura on Making the most of Social Media
- Wed Jan 20 2021: David Taylor on Landscape Photography
- Wed Feb 16 2022 7pm: TBC
- Wed Mar 16 2022 7pm: TBC
- Wed Apr 20 2022 7pm: TBC
- Wed May 18 2022 7pm: TBC
How to access?
The presentations will offer a mix of entertainment and instruction, with the aim that you should both enjoy the talks and learn something from them.
If you miss the Zoom we may have a recording available – but please ensure you download the recording prior to the next zoom taking place as we only hold the last zoom event’s recording – nothing earlier than that.
We will send Zoom invitations to all members nearer the time.
In addition, we now also offer more informal meetings (OWPG Blether!) where members can come together to consider matters of common interest.