In January 2021 we launched a series of remote Zoom meetings for Guild members and guests to make presentations on a range of subjects which we hope will be of interest to you all. These are usually only open to members, however occasionally for topics of wider interest (eg Peter and Leni’s talk on Everest) we may open up participation outside the Guild.
OWPG Member Zooms normally take place on the third Wednesday of the month, running from 7pm-8pm.
The presenter will speak for 30-40 minutes and there will be 20-30 minutes for discussion.
We will usually also keep the lines open after the presentation for informal chat among members.
Who is speaking – and about what?
Next ZOOM: Wednesday 20 December 2023 at 7.30pm – Christmas Quiz and Social
A bit of fun and Blether to celebrate the year together and get in the mood for festivities.
Join at this link.
Pitch Perfect with David Lintern on 15 November 2023
How to hone your ideas and present them to get the answer you want from an editor. Including taking and choosing the right imagery as part of a package.
Recording available at this link with passcode 8%&o+CJ!
Self Publishing with Jon Sparks on 18 Oct 2023
Jon’s experience of writing non-fiction and novels, and traditional vs. self publishing.
Recording available at this link with passcode E^nBf85!
The Hidden Fires with Merryn Glover on 14 Sep 2023
Illustrated talk about exploring the Cairngorms in the footsteps of Nan Shepherd.
Recording available at this link with passcode: wx4A7=34
Fell Asleep on 17 May 2023
Available at this link with passcode: 8ntW&T@t
Big Weekends past and future on 19 April 2023
Available at this link with passcode: 13Sp1N^V
Recording of Promoting your work on 15 March 2023
Available at this link with passcode: 9M3*7KFV
Recording of Writing up your walk on 10 February 2023
Available at this link with passcode: Ddz2Y8^T
Recording of How to make a photograph work on 18 January 2023
Available at this link with passcode: 4fmZ+gc&
N.B. This year we have a larger cloud allocation for recordings, so can keep them longer.
- Wed Dec 20 2023 7.30pm – Outdoor Quiz to unwind for Christmas
- Wed Nov 15 2023 – Pitch Perfect with David Lintern
- Wed Oct 18 2023 – Self Publishing with Jon Sparks
- Thur Sep 14 2023 – The Hidden Fires with Merryn Glover
- Wed May 17 2023 – Fell Asleep with Russ Moorhouse
- Wed Apr 19 2023 – Big Weekends past and future, with various members
- Wed Mar 15 2023 – practical training session with Anna Caig 10am to 12 noon
- Fri Feb 10 2023 – Writing up your walk – Ronald Turnbull
- Wed Jan 18 2023 – How to Make a photograph work – Josephine Collingwood
- Wed Dec 14 2022 – Blether with the OWPG Christmas Quiz
- Wed Nov 16 2022 – Routes, tracks, maps & apps – going digital – Dr Andrew Read
- Wed Oct 19 2022: Bueno Camino! – Julia Goodfellow-Smith
- Wed Sep 21 2022: Antarctica – Jacquetta Megarry and Chiz Dakin
- Wed May 18 2022 7pm: The Farthest Shore – Alex Roddie
- Thur Apr 7 2022 10am: Taking the cringe out of personal branding – Anna Caig
- Wed Mar 16 2022 7pm: Doing gear reviews – Chris Townsend
- Wed Feb 16 2022: Joe Williams, Cicerone – Pitching to Publishers
- Wed Jan 19 2022: Lisa Drewe – Islandeering
- Wed Nov 17 2021: Julia Goodfellow-Smith on “How to Create a Best-seller”
- Wed May 19 2021: Peter and Leni Gillman on Everest 1921-1953 – Tales from the Photo Archives
- Wed April 21 2021: Chris Howes on Photographic Flash Underground (Caving Photography)
- Wed Mar 17 2021: Guest speakers Karen Lloyd & Tim Ecott on narrative non-fiction
- Wed Feb 17 2021: Sabi Phagura on Making the most of Social Media
- Wed Jan 20 2021: David Taylor on Landscape Photography
How to access?
The presentations will offer a mix of entertainment and instruction, with the aim that you should both enjoy the talks and learn something from them.
If you miss the Zoom we may have a recording available; see the Blether Forum (remember to sign in to access this!) for the link. Please ensure you view or download the recording prior to the next zoom taking place as we only hold the last zoom event’s recording – nothing earlier than that.
We will send Zoom invitations to all members nearer the time.
In addition, we now also offer occasional informal meetings (OWPG Blether!) where members can come together to consider matters of common interest.